Fellow at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML)
Kavita is a Political Scientist with a current focus on the Environmental Law and Land Rights in India’s Asymmetric Federal System. She holds a PhD in Federal Coalition Politics of India from the University of Delhi. She is interested in tracing the efficacy of environmental law against the backdrop of changing land and property rights in the tribal hill states of North East India under the special provisions of the sixth Schedule of the Indian constitution. Her wider research inclinations lie in studying the difference in administrative, political and policy responses of different Indian states in the federation to the post economics reforms period.
Kavita has also worked earlier as a private consultant for UNICEF Pulse Polio India Program and for Pathfinder International‘s Sexual Health of Adolescents in the Urban Slums of Delhi project.
Amongst Kavita’s most recent publications are two articles about local governance and the rule of Autonomous District Councils (ADCs) as a model of self-government for some of India’s designated tribal communities. Both articles focus especially on the tribal state of Meghalaya:
- (2021) Governance Gaps in Sixth Schedule Mechanisms in Meghalaya, Indian Journal of Public Administration, Sage: New Delhi Volume 66, Issue 4. To read more click here.
- (2020) Representing the (Imagined) Majorities – Local Governance through the Autonomous District Councils: A Case Study of Meghalaya, Perspectives in Development, New Series 65, Occasional Paper ISBN: 978-93-84793-31-9, NMML, New Delhi. To read more click here.
- (2019) Tribal Representation and Local Land Governance in the Khasi Hills of Meghalaya, India, Forum for Development Studies, DOI:10.1080/08039410.2019.1593238 Oslo: Routledge. To read more click here.
- (2018) Mismanagement of Land in Meghalaya, Economic and Political Weekly India, Vol. 53, Issue No. 29, 21 Jul, 2018, SSN (Print) – 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) – 2349-8846. To read more click here.
- (2017) Right to Breathe, Delhi’s problems of Environmental Governance. IAPS Dialogue, University of Nottingham. To read more click here.
- (2017) Tribal representation & local land governance in India: A case study from the Khasi Hills of Meghalaya, Kavita Navlani Søreide Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI Working Paper WP 2017:4) 26 p. To read more click here.
- (2013) Tribal marginalization in India: Social exclusion and protective law, Kavita Navlani Søreide (2013) Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI Brief vol. 12 no. 4, 2nd edition) 4 p. To read more click here.
- (2006) National Integration And The Dynamics Of Coalition And Federalism In India Kavita Navlani The Indian Journal of Political Science Vol. 67, No. 1 (JAN. – MAR., 2006), pp. 119-132 Published by: Indian Political Science Association Stable. To read more click here.